Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yup, still ugly!

I really thought the quilting would improve that quilt.......and it did.....just a little!  BUT, I'm thinking it's still ugly, so I'm not even going to try to improve it by sewing covered buttons to each black square.  I finished it by binding it, and now it's in my upstairs closet.  If you want to buy it, I will let it go for the cost of the quilting, plus shipping, and a mere $40 for my time and materials.  I'm thinking about $120 total.  First come, first served!  After all, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Fiesta Ole' finished

Close-up

On a brighter note, I must show you the latest creation for "chickenfoot".  But let me fill you in a few facts first.  Chickenfoot is the head mama of the doll swap.  She organizes all the 220 or so entries and divides up the names to her sub-mamas who, in turn match up names for swap partners.   It's a daunting job!  Not only that, but she is also the head mama for the Scrappy Pincushion swap.  Another job of record proportion.  Well, ever since I first joined the doll swap for DQS7 (I think it was) I have made her a quilt to reflect her and her sub mamas.  I just thought it would be fun.  So, in 2009 I made this:

"Chickenfoot Et Al"

I think we only had 7 mamas that time and one of them was a guy (who I didn't include).  That set the bar for DQS8 when I made this:

"Havin' a Party"

That one was huge at 18 1/2 x 29 inches and took me forever, but it was her birthday month and I needed a theme.  LOL  Note that all 8 mamas were pictured in this quilt.  (No guys that time!)  Then we came to DQS9 and the number of mamas went up to 12........can you believe?  I wondered what I was going to do with all of them until a friend suggested that I do a quilt and call it, "Chickenfoot and the 12 mamas, the early years".

Chickenfoot & the 12 Mamas...the early years!

Note that I, as the oldest mama, and angel mama, (thus the halo) was the only one without an egg shell on my head and that our one, and only, African American mama even had a dark brown shell to represent her.  Plus, of course, her and some of our younger mamas weren't even hatched yet.  So......what to do for this time?  I am a bit busier this year and with all the swaps running at one time, and the new lap quilt pattern and the commission quilts to do, I was in a quandary.  I could have made something completely different, but I really wanted to stay with the chicken theme, so I thought I'd improve her looks and came up with this:

Our Supreme Leader

That one was more of a normal size at 14 x 22 inches.  She loved it and is thinking that soon she'll need to dedicate a whole wall in her house for all the quilts that I've made her.  LOL  Well, she better wait, because I already know what I'm making for DQS11.....and it's a dilly!  You will have to wait too because I'm not tellin'.  I will tell you one thing though.....it will be smaller.  LOL

28 comments:

Béa said...

I love your not so ugly quilt...what size is it please, i'm interested !

StitchinByTheLake said...

Once again I'm in love with your imagination. :) The chickens are the cutest things ever. I particularly love the latest one though - such personality. blessings, marlene

Brenda said...

these are all fabulous. as for your "ugly" quilt, I think it is fine, but I can see it would be dissappointing if it didn't turn out the way you planned.

Unknown said...

Love the chickens :o) Wish I had a little bit of your imagination and creativity!!

LJ said...

You know that saying: God don't make ugly? Well I'm going to ammend it to say Mamacjt don't make ugly! That quilt is not ugly!
The chickfoot quilts are wonderful! I'm sure the next one will outdo them all!

Amy said...

I love the quilt,I also love the chick foot quilts.

Sue said...

The chickens look like they are having so much fun partying! Thank goodness beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! I think your kaleidoscope quilt is beautiful. It would brighten any room! I can tell a lot work went into sewing with all those triangles!

Michele said...

Definitely NOT ugly! I don't think you can do ugly. Love the chicks!

Anonymous said...

I dont think it's ugly either but can understand if you aren't happy with it. Can't tell you how much I love all of the chicks though - such fun!

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I said from the beginning, (well, not quite back as far as Eve), from your first post of this quilt...NOT ugly. I Love it!!

Quilts can look very different on a bed - 3D, as opposed to laying on floor or hung - 2D.

and, OH MAMA! Them Chicks, are SEW fun!!

Sparky said...

I am sew agreement with all of me ladies shouts...this is not ugly...it is bright, colorful and filled with mamacjt. A OOAK for sure. your doll quits well over the top as exciting...

Anonymous said...

You my dear never cease to amaze me with your lovely quilts and talent. Oh how I wish I had a blog, then I wouldn't have to comment as "anonymous"
Brenda C.

Wendy said...

You are truly gifted ... your chickens are so adorable :) Thank you so very much for sharing your gift for all of us to see.

Brita said...

I adore your chickens! They have such wonderful personalities, I just giggle whenever I look at them. Thank you for sharing the fun.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You are so talented! your work is amazing!~! what a lucky lady to receive them! And, NO, not an ugly quilt at all!!!!!

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

you rock!

Susan said...

I continue to be amazed and in awe of your talent! Fantastic!!!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I'm not a fan of chickens - but geez you've turned me. Sooooo cute!

Vicki ♥ said...

Love it all and your quilt is not ugly :) Its fabulous!

Kathy said...

What adorable chickens and I don't even like chickens!!!
Your ugly quilt isn't so ugly. It is bright and cheerful!

Poppyprint said...

Have you shown that quilt to your granddaughters? I bet they'd LOVE it!!! Don't sell it for so little Carol, that's such a shame...so much work in those string blocks!

Your chicken series for Susan is such a delight. I love looking at all of them!!

Cindy said...

The chicken quilts are adorable!!!! Such wonderful gifts you have given.

Gmama Jane said...

I do love Chickenfoot and all her little peeps!! You are one artistic lady. OH to have an eight of your talent would be SEW fine.
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Perry said...

Love your chickens!!!! They are absolutely wonderful! I still don't think your quilt is ugly, but you have made better, lol.

Susan said...

Its a shame you still dont like your quilt - but I suspect you were never going to like it once you had first decided you didnt like it. You could have tried to applique a square over the black. But its yours to do with as you please and if it is going to irritate you every time you see it - then yes!! get rid of it. Love the chickens and you were absolutely to keep the theme going

Girltwin64 said...

OMG She is going to love this! I can't wait to wat you do next!

myBearpaw said...

How can you say that quilt is ugly? I think it's fabulous! Wow, I could show you some ugly quilts, and that certainly isn't one of them! It's just that you have such high standards! It was great to see all you chicken quilts together - so funny!

Anonymous said...

If you havent sold the quilt that I call fabulous!! Would you please let me know at walker67@k12tn.net
Thanks!
LeeAnn